Members - Scholarships, Awards & Grants - Marvin Dodson-Carl Perkins Scholarship
The Marvin Dodson-Carl Perkins Scholarships are sponsored by the Kentucky Education Association and presented to the winners at the KEA Delegate Assembly.
The deadline for application has expired.
Who May Apply: Members of the KEA Student Program who are juniors, seniors, MAT candidates or post baccalaureate students seeking a first-time teaching endorsement in a Kentucky college or university during the 2013-2014 school year.
How Much: KEA will give one $2,000 scholarship and four $1,000 scholarships. The winners will be selected by the KEA Visibility Committee.
Requirements: Applicants must:
- Be a college junior, senior, post-baccalaureate student or MAT candidate in 2014-2015 and not have won this award before.
- Be a member of the KEA Student Program
- Plan to teach in Kentucky
Selection criteria: Applicants will be judged on:
- Leadership/involvement in the KEA Student Program
- Community involvement through the Association
- Intention to continue involvement in the Association on the state, local or national level.
Applications: Submit the following documents, along with a cover letter:
- A letter from your college verifying that you are enrolled in a program leading to a Kentucky teaching certificate and that your grade point average is at least 3.0 and showing the number of credit hours you have completed
- A current resume: Include education, work experience, leadership roles, community service and special talents
- At least two letters of professional and/or personal reference
- An essay of no more than 500 words explaining why you want to be a teacher; the nature of your involvement in the KEA Student Program; and why you are applying for the scholarship.
Deadline: Applications must be received in the KEA headquarters office before the close of business on February 1, 2015. Applications may be mailed, hand delivered or faxed to:
c/o Charles Main
Kentucky Education Association
401 Capital Avenue
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Selection: Recipients will be selected by KEA's Visibility Committee. Finalists will be interviewed, if the committee deems it necessary, in Frankfort in February or March 2014 and notified of their award, if any, by mail. Scholarship checks will be presented at the KEA Delegate Assembly in Louisville on Friday morning, April 10, 2015.
For Information: Call Charles Main at 800.231.4532, ext. 315