Members - Scholarships, Awards & Grants - Marvin Dodson-Carl Perkins Scholarship
The 2017 Marvin Dodson-Carl Perkins Scholarships are sponsored by the Kentucky Education Association
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS December 16, 2016
Who May Apply: Members of the KEA Student Program who are juniors, seniors, MAT candidates or post baccalaureate students seeking a first-time teaching endorsement in a Kentucky college or university during the 2016-2017 school year.
How Much: KEA will award scholarships totaling $6,000. No single award will be greater than $1,000 or less than $500. The winners will be selected by the KEA Visibility Committee.
Requirements: Applicants must:
- Be a college junior, senior, post-baccalaureate student or MAT candidate in 2016-2017 and not have won this award before.
- Be a member of the KEA Student Program
- Plan to teach in Kentucky
Selection criteria: Applicants will be judged on:
- Leadership/involvement in the KEA Student Program
- Community involvement through the Association
- Intention to continue involvement in the Association on the state, local or national level.
Applications: Submit these documents, along with a cover letter:
- A letter from your college verifying that you are enrolled in a program leading to a Kentucky teaching certificate and that your grade point average is at least 3.0 and showing the number of credit hours you have completed
- A current resume: Include education, work experience, leadership roles, community service and special talents
- At least two letters of professional and/or personal reference
- An essay of no more than 500 words explaining why you want to be a teacher; the nature of your involvement in the KEA Student Program; and why you are applying for the scholarship.
Deadline: Applications must be received in the KEA headquarters office before the close of business on December 16, 2016. Applications may be mailed, hand delivered or faxed to:
C/0 Charles Main
Kentucky Education Association
401 Capital Avenue
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Selection: Recipients will be selected by KEA's Visibility Committee. Finalists will be interviewed, if the committee deems it necessary, in January or February 2017. Winners will be notified of their award by email. Scholarship checks will be presented at the KEA Delegate Assembly, April 5-7, 2017 in Louisville.
For Information: Call Charles Main at (502) 696-8940 or fax to (502) 696-8941